Game Dev Tycoon is the most popular business simulation game. You can create your own game development company, set in the 80s, in this game. It is basically a business stimulator which gives the player a chance to experience the gaming industry as it was in the early 1980s and slow progress towards modern times (the 2000s). You can grow your company and the gameplay evolves according to your choices in the game. The game is available on all major mobile platforms for purchase.
Another excellent feature of this game is that it does not have ‘pay to win modes’ (In-app purchases) and those pesky ads that keep popping up while playing the game. Thus the game is purely based upon the choices of the player only
- The central idea is to include create a game developer company back in the 80s with various technologies.
- You can design and create many games and gain various insights through a number of gaming experts.
- You are free to create customized game engines by researching new technologies.
- You can forge an entirely new world-class development system and move to a bigger office.
- The game has many quests, secret labs and achievements to be unlocked. Various supports are provided like game modding and workshop.
- In addition to this, there is a community for translations for different languages.
- Game Dev Tycoon lets one experience changing trends in the gaming industry from the 80s to the current times.
You can start the adventure by creating and designing a new office back in the 80s in a small garage. The company is provided with basic tools to create a game, if the game developed by the company is successful, the company gains revenue. It is up to the player to decide where to invest the money – In acquiring more staff or in renting an office. As the player’s company gains commercial success the options to invest money in diversify – A player can later fund game researches, the fund to mod its earlier games, hire acclaimed talents, hire acclaimed marketing teams and many more.
Similarly, on meeting with a product failure the company can choose to stop research, let go of a part of its workforce, end support to its previous games and many more options to cut the expenses of the company.
Overall, Game Dev Tycoon is a fun game to learn the basics of any business.